Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Ichiraku Ramen!

That was another nerdy Naruto reference. What's worse is I don't even think I have the name of the ramen shop right. Anyway....ramen is a great autumn food, obviously. I had some pork loin I had seared and roasted earlier in the week. The glaze was simply coarse ground French mustard and vinegar. Works a treat. Perfect. Anyway, slivers of that, some tofu, some scallions, some dumplings...well, you get the idea. Loverly.



Yeah, those look a little past their prime. However, they are of the onion family and, as we all know, peeling them back.....



Tofu chunks! Tofu is so strangely great that, well, I dunno Google it. I know everyone knows what tofu is but, read on.... (not here, on what you get when you Google)....



Health, health, health.....



Super chunky........



Alrighty, here comes the meat......



Below the gyoza. I think there was a thing in Japan last year where this brand, which is sourced from China on the other side of the Pacific, had some weird, gulp, pesticide issue.


Yeah, they look like slugs. Tasty, tasty slugs.....filled with pork....and preservatives....and let us not forget.....love.......Oh. Okay. Below, the cast for my evening floor show. Asahi (more on that in a moment), big awesome bowl from Maruichi, dumplings, noodles, pork, etc. Places everyone, places!!




Scot F. if you are reading....yes it was sooooo good. Not as good as the sushi place in Sunrise Plaza in Lauderdale, etc.


This close up isn't so bad. Lovely broth. I bolstered it with some dashi and soy sauce. Slept well that night, for a change.


Love Asahi beer. Well, the original is from the Far East. They cleverly got Molson Brewery up in the 51'st state (Canada) to contract and brew for them. If you're not careful you won't catch that your Asahi and Kirin are IMPORTED and covered with what looks like straight from Japan stuff. Sorry mates, brewed in Toronto. That's why they can advertise "Imported" so boldly. I, as a rule, buy Sapporo, all of their brew comes straight from Japan......

2 comments:

  1. Asahi always gave me headaches. It was advertised as "live beer". Perhaps whatever make it alive, wanted me dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perish the thought. I love the entertaining way advertisers in Japan mangle English. I'm sure you have come classics from your years in those almost too-cute-to-be-believed islands.

    ReplyDelete