Saturday, December 5, 2009

Samosa follow-up...

Okay, in an earlier post (you can find it here) I showed you the very tasty samosas I made. I neglected to show the rather tricky preparation, however, not this time! Lots of chopped ginger and onion. This picture was taken with the camera on the little "heart" symbol. Not too good.


Below, the ground chicken, onions and ginger softening up. This was taken with the camera on the "lampshade" setting. Maybe I should stick to that one.....


Here is the filling now with the spinach and chick peas added. I modified it ever so slightly and threw in some peas. Samosas without peas just doesn't seem right.


On to the dough. This is really, really easy to make and yet, I had some difficulty! Two cups of flour, six tablespoons of oil, and a teaspoon of salt. Put this in a food processor and then slowly add about six tablespoons of warm water until it balls up. Better to have a little too much water rather than not enough. I was a little flinty with the water and the dough was a little too tight.


Cut the ball in half and then cut those in half again. Turn that little blob into another ball. Roll it out into something that resembles a circle...


Slice down the middle.....


Here's the tricky part. That reminds me of this goofy Fig Newtons commercial from the 70's. A guy is in a Fig Newton outfit singing some song about, obviously, Fig Newtons. As he's coming to the end, he says "Here's the tricky part!" and he sticks one leg out behind him and finishes the song. Funny. Come to think of it, Fig Newton is a weird name. I mean consider it on it's own. Fig Newton.

Fig Newton.

Fig

Newton.

Newton.

Fig.

fignewton

Anyway, got side-tracked. Here's the little snow cone sort of thing you stuff with the filling.


Okay, the dough in the background pulled focus. But you get the idea. Again, I left the setting the same as the better, I won't say good, photos above. Operator error, I know, but what?


Deep fry and you have an extremely satisfying, albeit, highly caloric treat.


Samosas on Foodista

2 comments:

  1. But can you also make a delicious squishy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super! Yes, yes I can make a delicious squishy. Actually, Joe's nemesis Scot Frew came by and was telling me about how many lion fish he killed down in the Bahamas last week (they are invasive from southeast Asia and really good to eat) and then we got talking about H Mart, where he was shopping yesterday. He almost bought some unagi, of several posts here fame, but waved off. At any rate, he was looking for Goya brand frozen fruite pulps. Apparently, they make great squishies! Also, Scot brought me back some gnarly snacks from Narita airport last month. They will be reviewed shortly. Oh, your blog post is coming....

    ReplyDelete