Saturday, December 12, 2009

Weird Japanese, wait, Korean Snack #9

I had finished my lunch yesterday when I felt like having some potato chips. Specifically salt and vinegar. Well, the thought of getting up and taking the elevator down to the convenience store was daunting. Only one elevator was working so the possibility of getting stuck with someone I'd have to make work-related small talk with was uninviting. Then I remembered the Weird Japanese Snack larder right next to me. Jack pot! These, as you may or may not be able to tell are from Korea, Japan's closest rival in the off-the-wall snacks stakes. Kankuro looks on in anticipation......



These only cost 1,000 won. Wow, pretty cheap! Or really expensive. I have no idea how much a won is worth....


They listed mackerel powder as one of the ingredients. Last time I had a Korean snack things didn't turn out so well. Upon opening this bag, however, unlike last time, there was only a mild fishy smell. Not appalling but not appealing either. Kankuro is transfixed.


Screw it, I'm goin' in...


They came in these completely weird but, apparently, symbolic shapes. My best guess? Upper left: squid. Center top: fish. Upper right: whale. Lower left: Gary from Spongebob? Bottom center: starfish. Bottom right: that's either a puffer fish, lips, or a distorted fish shape from top center. The flavor? A slightly sweet coating, which seems to be real common with these, and a not unpleasant, slightly seafoody taste. I actually plowed through a goodly part of the bag. Nice one. This goes in the win column.......

No comments:

Post a Comment