Saturday, December 12, 2009

A man and his blog.

On my trip to Florida in August, one of my fellow travelers was old high school buddy Craig. Below, you can see him as he studies the selection of deli meats at the Publix in Coral Ridge Mall. (See Craig, I'm respecting your anonymity....)


And another. Craig rented the van and was insistent that he drive it. That suited the rest of us as, well, after a visit to the beach bar Craig, (a comparatively light drinker) would have been the logical choice anyways. He actually likes driving. Me, um, no. One of the gang, Luther I think it was, wanted to rent a convertible. Firstly, six grown men aren't going to fit in a Chrysler Sebring. Secondly, Sebring's are dorky. And thirdly, even if we did fit and even if a Sebring in some alternate reality was cool, we'd still look like the stars of a commercial for men with prostate problems......


I know many, many funny people. Craig, when he's on, which is often, rockets to the top of the list. He's also extremely and entertainingly sanctimonious. One rule with Craig is, "Respect my meal times or there's gonna be trouble.." As a result, whenever possible, we completely disrespect his meal times.

He has gotten several letters to the Washington Post published over the last few years. To us, that pretty much makes him a published author. As a result of these successes, Craig began a blog self-reverently named "Makes Sense to Craig". You can see his cherubic face there. His latest entry on the well worn topic of the commercialization of Christmas is pretty darn funny. If you can't experience him live, this is the next best thing......

Craig was in the Navy for nigh on two decades. Amongst the many stories and characters he's told us about over the years, the lady of the evening in Naples, Italy known as "Humpty Dumpty" (She used to sit on a wall. Get it?) being a personal fave, there's a story involving the Sapporo beer garden in Tokyo, plumbing, clothing, and Mongolian hot pot that I would dearly love to recount. However, I don't want my blog pulled for inappropriate content. Here's to you Super!

2 comments:

  1. Kevin - Once again, you're writing is top-notch, blending subtle touches of humor with outright guffaw-able (I know that's not a word) zingers. I wish I had your touch. You're my personal David Sedaris and Conan O'Brien all wrapped up in one. Thanks for the shout out to me and my blog. Now maybe your two blog followers and my two blog followers unite with Wonder Twin powers and make us both famous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,high praise. You know I love compliments. That page had almost 30 unique views yesterday afternoon alone. You may go viral!

    ReplyDelete