Sunday, October 11, 2009

Broiled Eel: Unagi!

In the earlier post, I showed me purchasing eel, called unagi in Japanese. It is really, really good. I know that isn't very articulate but it'll have to do. To start the evening I need to boil up some rice. Below you'll see the Maruichi-purchased rice. Grown in California, I believe. Hold on, let me just dash over to the kitchen and check......yeah, California.



Below is the rice in the cooker, rinsed once and then two parts water to one part rice. Actually, I have found that a little extra water makes a slightly better rice for donburi.



Here's my rice cooker's passport photo. My sister Katy bought this for me about 10 years ago. It has worked awesomely ever since. Thanks Katy! Oh, she also bought me a bento box that I have sorely under-used. I'll change that.


Small, very recession-minded portion of rice for my eel dinner.



A little mirin, sweet Japanese rice vinegar, helps flavor the rice. Just a splash. Oh yeah, and the iPhone camera was blurry again. I know it's operator error but it does seem to be kind of arbitrary on whether the photos are blurry or not...



Below, the eel from the previous post.


The eel sauce is drizzled across the freshly heated eel filet. It has a sweet, soy sauce, bbq sort of taste to it.



Below, my lovely eel filets portioned and presented.


Five nanoseconds later. The sauce from the unagi flavors the rice. The slight bitterness from the skin of the unagi is the perfect accent and all and all makes this dish very, very addictive. Luvit.

No comments:

Post a Comment