Sunday, October 18, 2009

Random Island Images...

I was sitting on the porch a couple of months ago contemplating this. Walt Whitman, an iPod with wireless adapter, and beer. I was listening to Suede, Coming Up. Great album.



Along the shoreline off the front yard you come across a lot of bricks in the sand. These were from the original lodge that was on the island. Built in the 1930's, it burned down in 1945.


The evocative but unused BBQ.



While I was mowing the lawn I kept seeing this mallard hen walking around the yard. Not in any particular hurry. I'd turn the corner of the cottage and I'd see her rear end disappearing under the steps, etc. After a while Wayne decided to put out a bowl of water for her and some crackers. I told him there's no way a wild duck is gonna come around while we're sitting there. About 10 minutes later....



Being a duck it only made sense that after a few sips it was time to go for a swim.


Finally, a snap of the surprisingly common island box turtles. This one had a particularly colorful shell. I found him the following morning eating the leftover crackers from the duck's feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment