Monday, October 5, 2009

Maruichi Market

This is a real treasure, the Maruichi Japanese grocery store. Run by my pal Tetsu, it has everything an expat Japanese needs and its all of 200 yards from my front door. They used to run a travel agency from the store as well, thus the vestigal lettering on the door. Lets take a little tour....


There's a nice case where they sell perishables, and occasionally they'll have tidbits like salmon eggs or roe sacs. They usually have some fresh vegetables and eggs as well. Once I came across a nice set of sea urchin roe (uni) and snapped that up. It was indulgent but, you know, I only did it that one time. I'm proud to say I exercised a great deal of self restraint and those 12 gorgeous little uni survived a full 120 minutes in my fridge before I ate them.



Here's the fridge where you can grab your miso paste, four different types. He keeps this place spotless. He and his wife I should say.


Curry is hugely popular in Japan. It's a variation on the traditional Indian curry and, I'm sorry to say, I've never had it. I'll make a point of trying it soon.


Below is one of my very favorites. Unagi: freshwater eel. I started ordering unagi as sushi but one day saw a lady at the counter next to me order a full bowl of eel: unagi donburi. Now I make it at home. The package below goes for $9 and makes a single, generous serving. You simply heat it up in the oven, add some special unagi sauce and serve over rice (next post).



Have not graduated to whole frozen squid but how 'bout it! Food? Technically. Art? Definitely.


Drinks cooler. Pocari Sweat, the infamous Calpis, etc. Lots of canned coffees and green teas as well.


Conbini in Rockville. Loads and loads of cup noodles, udon, etc. I get these for lunch but, to be honest, they're loaded with calories. They fry the noodles before drying them and that's where the great, savory flavor comes from. Even the small bowls have almost 500 calories.


This place is proper. Could not get a good pic without the annoying glare from the camera flash. They sell the gigantic Asahi oil cans: 32 oz. for $4. Good deal and you're set for the night.


And finally, cosmetics straight from Tokyo. Tetsu told me he sells out this entire section almost every week. Loads of Japanese from the embassies and high tech firms in the area make the pilgrimage. I even bumped into Senator Inoue from Hawaii once. I'm not the type to be star struck but he's a war hero and I'm a big fan. Was pretty nervous.


Here is a link to the Tsuji Cooking Academy in Osaka. They have fantastic recipes. While it's a fascinating site on it's own, they also have some dynamite recipes. Despite Tokyo getting most of the attention internationally for it's cuisine, in Japan it's actually Osaka where many of the food trends emerge. Also, Osaka residents are supposed to be friendlier and funnier than Tokyoites. Many of the top comedians in Japan come from Osaka. That's just word on the street. I'm just sayin'........

No comments:

Post a Comment